We wish to acknowledge that our school is built on Awabakal land.
The establishment of the Sisters of Mercy began with Catherine McAuley and the founding sisters in Dublin, Ireland in 1831. Catherine recognised the needs of those who were marginalised and oppressed due to the unjust social practices of the time. Catherine, along with two other sisters, established the House of Mercy to educate and provide social services for women and children who were at risk of homelessness due to poverty. Catherine saw the need to establish a religious order that was in service to others. The Sisters of Mercy spread rapidly, arriving in Australia in 1846.
The Sisters of Mercy in Australia dedicate themselves to serving people who suffer from injustices related to poverty, sickness or lack of education, and endeavour to respond to a range of local and global needs. Mercy education is inspired by the teachings of Christ and the vision of Catherine McAuley to provide education for all.
On 31 January 1961, two Sisters travelled by car from New Lambton to open a new school, St James’. Sr Maureen was our first principal, and with the help of Sr Margaret, they established our wonderful school. As a school founded in the Mercy tradition, we are committed to a culture where Christ is at the centre and where we promote and live our values of Compassion, Respect, Service, Hospitality, Justice and Courage every day.